Wednesday 4 February 2015

Top 10 favourite Pokémon


Top 10 favourite Pokémon

This is a list that all people who write blogs like mine must do. I’m writing this and it feels like the next step towards greatness. It’s my top 10 favourite Pokémon.

 
 
It should be noted there are now over 700 Pokémon so picking 10 proved to be quite difficult. I went through the pokédex and had it narrowed down to 46 for 10 places. So it still wasn’t going well so I thought I’d give some honourable mentions. These are Venasaur for being my favourite of the original starters, Victreebell for being incredibly violent and also a plant (Plus it evolves from Bellsprout), Espeon for being my favourite evolution of Eevee, Floatzel for being my favourite shiny Pokémon I found, Hippowdon because I have one called Big Mama and Excadrill because it amuses me to call it the epic mole in a silly voice. Onto the list:

 

10. Heatran

Legendary Pokémon are epic monsters of destruction. I like many of them but my personal favourite is the rather obscure Heatran. I like that you travel through a dangerous volcano to reach Heatran. Compared to other legendry’s it seems rather underwhelming but look a little closer and you’ll see this thing can easily hold its own.

 

Most of my affection from Heatran comes from my super cool times of competitive Pokémon battling. It was perhaps the most reliable Pokémon I used. It could handle a multitude of situations and take on multiple roles in a team. It never let me down and more importantly it helped me win even though I wasn’t very good. In fact it was so dependable I nicknamed my Heatran after my cat Izzy.

 

9. Scrafty

A gangster Pokémon. With a Mohawk. How cool is that? A lot of people dislike generation five but for me Scrafty carries it all on its own. It had also had a unique fighting/dark type combination and was a staple for me in the games in generation five.

 

Another benefit of Scrafty is when it evolves it finally learns how to wear its trousers. A real moment of pride. Scrafty reminded me of why I even play Pokémon games. I found a strange little creature, trained it and travelled with it and watched it grow, in this case into a full on gangster. It doesn’t get much better than that. Naturally after all this I named mine BITCH!!!!!! to mirror what I imagined it said to the opponents it defeated. Unfortunately this name was censored by the Pokémon games so now it’s just called Scrafty.

 

8. Greninja

Frogs are cool. Ninjas are cool. So what happens when you combine the two? You get Greninja. I wasn’t keen at first on X and Y’s starters but that changed when I saw this awesome thing. This was the only time I ever took the water starter but it was well worth the wait.

 

We’d had Pokémon sort of like ninjas bust nothing this authentic. Added to my love for the video game Frogger, this Pokémon was a perfect fit. Then we got to play it in smash brothers and a throw water shrunken at Mario’s head and everything I could want from a Pokémon was complete. Mine was called FreakinNinja because what else would it be?

 

7. Munchlax

This guy is here not because of standard Pokémon games but rather the mystery dungeon series. It was a tough game, Mystery dungeon explorers of darkness full of powerful enemies but they were no match for the mighty Munchlax.

 

I already liked Snorlax but when you’re playing as Munchlax and you punch Darkrai ((Practically a vessel of pure evil) in the face then it has to be on the list. In fact I couldn’t even bring myself to evolve Munchlax. We all like an underdog story and this was the best I had in a Pokémon game.

 

6. Sceptile

We all remember our first starter Pokémon. Being a massive childhood noob I didn’t get a Pokémon game until Ruby where I was immediately drawn to Treecko. Then it evolved into this strange lizard thing called Sceptile and my young mind was amazed.

 

Nostaligia plays a role in these lists and this one is perhaps the biggest example of that. Sceptile was with me for my first Pokemon league triump, my first capture of a legendary pokemon and it was my first level 100. My young child mind was forever linked with Sceptile and the nostalgia lives on. Now it can mega evolve and without it there’s no way I could win against my friend in the latest games. So thank you Sceptile for showing me that Pokémon are just as important as friends. I gave my Sceptile a name I only bestow on true greats … Geoff.

 

5. Pelliper

What else does nostalgia remind you of? The first Pokémon you caught. For me that was Wingull and before long it was Pelliper. For some reason I was the only person I knew to use Pelliper so I travelled on my epic journey with my pelican Pokémon by my side.

 

My real reason for having Pelliper is for how when I first played Ruby it killed Groudon in one hit before blitzing the elite four and champion. I never expected Pelliper to be such a powerhouse but it proved me and the whole world wrong. Sceptile was my first level 100 but Pelliper was the Pokémon I had that as a young child I used all the time and neglected most my team for it. Sceptile caught up but Pelliper was first. In Omega Ruby therefore I named my Pelliper Arceus after the God of Pokémon.

 

4. Mawile

I always wanted Mawile to be good. It looked amazing with its second Jaw but unfortunately it was terrible. It was too weak for my in game team so it sat in my PC hoping it would one day be powerful enough it fight.

 

Favourites often involve a fond memory and the first time I trashed my friend’s team with Mega Mawille was is a very fond memory indeed. He saw Mawile and laughed but he wasn’t laughing after it mega evolved and used the swords dance plus sucker punch combo. Mega Mawile is the highest attack Pokémon currently in the whole of Pokémon and I if nothing else find that very appealing. Mawile is like a great coming of age story. I liked it when it was bad, so now it’s firmly placed on this list. My Mawile was also named Geoff.

 

3. Jigglypuff

This is not here from the main series of games, rather super smash bros. This is my character, I played Jigglypuff when it was good in Melee and I played it in Brawl when I probably shouldn’t have. The Puff is a super fun character with his ability to float and the amazing rest attack, which still confuses me to this day.

 

I think of all the battles I’ve had with Jigglypuff and I could not possibly keep it off this list. So many memories of death, destruction, KO’s and all of them involving a small pink blob thing. If I use Jigglypuff in a game I think I’ll name it after the Godzilla monster; Destroyah.

 

2. Garchomp

Some of these picks I think were quite original. This one isn’t but who can blame me. We all play Pokémon to unleash our inner child and what does that better than a land shark that’s also a dragon. What makes Garchomp so high up on this list is because you can combine most of what I’ve written above and that sums up Garchomp.

 

The nostalgia factor is there, it was very reliable and fun to use in game, I trained it from a tiny Gible, it was so reliable and dependable in competitive battling and my friends to this day complain about my overpowered Garchomps that I always use. I’ve used this guy in every game he’s available and traded a Gible onto games he’s not. Garchomp is just a boss. A legend in my eyes it all started when my team needed upgrading to battle my friends and their scary Dragonites and Salamences. Enter Garchomp and victory was mine. I still don’t have a good nickname for it though, I normally again just go for Geoff. Geoff is a name that signifies power and Garchomp has it in abundance.

 

1. Shuckle

 

That’s all that needs to be said.

 










No comments:

Post a Comment